Whether you are playing at a land-based casino or an online casino, blackjack and baccarat are quite different in many respects.
We intend to put baccarat vs blackjack to the test, outline their differences, as well as see which game has the best odds. We will answer all the key questions.
BACCARAT VS. BLACKJACK RULES
In terms of casino games, blackjack and baccarat have very contrasting rules. Let’s take a closer look at the difference between playing these two games from that perspective.
In many ways, baccarat is easier. So, if you were playing baccarat at Las Vegas casinos, for example, the dealer would then deal out the cards face up, and whoever gets closest to nine wins.
If either the player or the banker is dealt eight or nine, then both the player and the banker will stand. If the player’s total is five or less, then the player will receive an additional card, otherwise, the player will stick.
There is also a final betting option in baccarat – tie bets. A tie bet will pay out at odds of 8/1, but we will look at the baccarat and blackjack odds later on in this guide.
Blackjack offers a few variations, but the table game people will be most familiar with, revolves around trying to hit 21. It was popularised by the James Bond film franchise, and the premise of it is that it starts with player bets. The dealer will then deal two cards at the table, two to himself and two to the player, and one of the cards will be face down.
There are several card values in the deck, and to win, players will need to hit 21. Ideally, this will be formed with an Ace and a 10. Of course, there is an element of luck involved. But in terms of outcome, players will go bust if they bet in the game and exceed 21. A tie bet is possible with a push when the player and the dealer in the game would have cards of the same value.
In some respects, baccarat and blackjack are similar rules wise, although the basic blackjack strategy is less refined as a casino game compared to baccarat.
BACCARAT ODDS VS BLACKJACK
Many players might not be so worried about the odds for baccarat and blackjack. However, with these two games, there is always a house edge to take into consideration.
Let’s now delve into this and see what the odds are like for these classic two casino table games.
The baccarat odds are quite similar to the blackjack odds. For those that know the basic strategy, baccarat has a higher house edge. Whereas with a tie bet, the house edge on baccarat tables stands at 9.5%. But overall, baccarat has the best odds.
With blackjack, at most online casinos, the house edge can go as low as 0.5%. In some cases, players will like to double down after a split, or if they have the ability to play with one deck instead of six, then the house edge could be as low as 0.35%.
While from the outset, there doesn’t seem to be much disparity between blackjack and baccarat when it comes to odds, it can add up in the long term.
BACCARAT VS. BLACKJACK PAYOUTS
Baccarat is a far superior game compared to blackjack when it comes to potential payouts and what players stand to win money wise. In a baccarat game, for example, the payout for a successful wager can be 1 to 2 instead of 1 to 1. In other words, in an average game, a wager of $100 could pay out $150 at online casinos, baccarat offers more here.
Whereas with blackjack, the typical payout for a bet is even money, so in that sense, blackjack requires being patient, and appreciating that you won’t be able to grow your bankroll as quickly as baccarat.
BACCARAT VS. BLACKJACK HOUSE EDGE
Probabilities are a big part of both of these online casino games. And when it comes to odds, blackjack shades things as the house edge can be as little as 0.5% when you wager on this game whereas at a casino, the house edge for baccarat can be as high as 1.24%, so this is something you shouldn’t forget about when deciding which game you should wager on.
BACCARAT VS. BLACKJACK NUMBER OF PLAYERS
Typically, the number of players is quite similar for both casino games. Both baccarat and blackjack will have tables that will have seats free for up to seven players.
BLACKJACK VS. BACCARAT EASE OF LEARNING
As a casino game, blackjack isn’t that easy to play. It requires having more of a strategy when you bet, but with baccarat, the advantage of this game is that there are fewer options, so the gameplay is more conducive to casino players of all standards.
It doesn’t matter whether you are playing at land-based casinos or in the comfort of your own home, baccarat offers a higher return to player percentage, so if you fancy a shot, then baccarat is a good starting point. There are far more versions of blackjack compared to baccarat, and while some may be easier than others, it may not always translate in terms of payout.
BLACKJACK VS. BACCARAT STRATEGY DEPTH
Blackjack is significantly harder on a difficulty level. You have to be able to card count and memorise hands, and figure out what the dealer is showing. Every time you make a mistake betting on blackjack, you stand to lose money.
In stark contrast, baccarat is the opposite, as it is one of those casino games that doesn’t have the same amount of difficulty. You will just have to bet on the banker’s hand and make the minimum bet on every hand at the table. In that sense, baccarat, for the majority of players, is probably more fun than blackjack.
BLACKJACK VS. BACCARAT VARIANTS
In the latest part of the baccarat vs blackjack battle, it’s time to look at the variety you will get with playing both games at a casino. The five main versions of baccarat to bet on are as follows — 3 card baccarat, baccarat banque, chemin de fer, mini baccarat, and punto banco. With the chemin de fer version, tables are considerably bigger, and it is played with 14 players.
Blackjack also has a lot of different versions which may not come as a surprise. However, depending on who you speak to, some are undoubtedly more popular than others. Among the most recognised blackjack games to bet on at online casinos, include the American version, where the dealer takes the hole (the one that remains face down) before a player makes a decision about their following bets.
What may come as more of a surprise, is when players or dealers can make a move on a soft 17. This is where having strong knowledge of the game will work in your favor.
BLACKJACK AND BACCARAT SIMILARITIES
Blackjack and baccarat share some similarities at casinos, which we have explained below:
- Similar objectives – Both have similar objectives when it comes to winning. The aim is to create the highest hand with the cards you have been dealt.
- Low house edges – Compared to other games you will find at casinos, the house edge is quite low which means that both are quite fun to play and vie for real money. Some players, however, might be split on this view.
- Game Variety – At online casinos, you’ll find plenty of variety, so there are more titles to keep players entertained as they seek to win more money. Ok, there aren’t as many of these types of casino games as slots, but they have a lot going for them.
- Accessibility – Both games are very easy to find in any given casino lobby, which will entice new and existing players.
BLACKJACK AND BACCARAT DIFFERENCES
But there are also plenty of differences between these two games, so let’s explore these factors below:
- Baccarat betting options – At online casinos, you will see more betting options for baccarat. Whereas with blackjack, players are just dependent on themselves to win, there are three ways baccarat players can profit – a player can bet on themselves winning, on the dealer or banker to win, or a tie.
- Size of wagers – Baccarat is considered to be a game for high rollers, as the wagers that will be played will be much higher in terms of the minimum bet. As such, players can lose more money playing baccarat compared to other games, such as slots.
- Strategy – There is more going on with blackjack in that respect. Whereas the basic strategy of baccarat is quite easy, with blackjack, you have to be able to card count and figure out what the dealer is doing if you wish to improve your chances of making a profit.
5 REASONS WHY BACCARAT IS BETTER THAN BLACKJACK
Baccarat might have the edge over blackjack for the following reasons:
- Simple strategy – As mentioned, with this game there isn’t too much to think about when it comes to executing a strategy that might suit some players.
- Low house edge – With a low house edge, baccarat can be appealing, and if you are smart with your chips, then you can reduce the house advantage. Baccarat has fixed odds whereas with blackjack, they will be more dependent on player decisions.
- Fewer options – There are fewer versions of baccarat compared to blackjack, so you can stick to the games you enjoy the most.
- More money – With less thinking involved, this gives players a chance to win more money and keep their bankroll ticking over.
- Better bonuses – If you are playing on mobile, you are more likely to profit from better bonuses, and the rollover requirements won’t be too bad either.
5 REASONS WHY BLACKJACK IS BETTER THAN BACCARAT
- Popular – Even if you haven’t played at an online casino, you are more likely to have heard of blackjack. It is a classic table game, and it is influence is showing no signs of fading.
- More tactics – There is arguably more skill involved as you will have to demonstrate the ability to card count and see what the dealer is doing before you make your next move.
- Decision making – Similar to above, you are required to do more thinking and being able to make multiple decisions at any given time based on the strength of your hand.
- Easier scoring system – The scoring for blackjack is far simpler as you just have to reach 21 whereas there is more to think about on that front with baccarat.
- Good for tournaments – Blackjack, for more experienced players, works better in tournament format. And if you are lucky, you could get your hands on a substantial cash prize.
Both blackjack and baccarat are superb casino games, and they have a lot going for each other. Both offer low house edges, but if you are after something more challenging and requires more brain power, then blackjack will be the game for you.